My husband got back from working in Cabo this weekend (tough life!) and I wanted to make a good, hearty chicken dinner for us. This meal utilizes the Crockpot (YAY! I’m always looking for new recipes for the Crockpot) and is rich without being too heavy or unhealthy. You need a little extra time to prepare the chicken rub, but other than that, it’s another easy breezy.
CLASSIC SLOW-COOKED CHICKEN DINNER
adapted from The Nest
All-Purpose Chicken Rub Ingredients
- 1.5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 tsp ground dried mustard
- 1.5 tsp ground dried sage
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup flour
- Your choice of chicken drumsticks, thighs and breast halves with wings – Bone in, Skin on (6 to 7 lb. total)
- 1.5 lb medium golden potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 24 baby-cut carrots
- 4 celery ribs, cut into ¾-inch lengths
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
1. Boil potatoes in several quarts of lightly salted water for around 5 minutes; drain and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for chicken rub together in a medium bowl. Turn chicken in flour mixture until thoroughly coated; pat off excess flour and reserve flour mixture.
2. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides, about 4 minutes per side, and transfer to a plate; set aside.
3. Add remaining vegetable oil to skillet. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; then add reserved seasoned flour and stir until vegetables are coated. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add chicken broth and simmer until slightly thickened; pour into the slow cooker on top of the potatoes. Arrange drumsticks and thighs over the vegetables; set breast halves on top of dark meat. Cover cooker and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high (I cooked mine for about 3.5 hours on high), or 5 to 6 hours on low.
4. Remove chicken to a serving platter and surround with potatoes, carrots and celery; keep warm.