This has been a week of working out HARD. The new Equinox Marina Del Rey has been open for a few weeks, and my fiancé and I have been over there every day. It’s been fun! I’ve never had the opportunity to “train” him before, and we’re really enjoying working out together. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the gym is insanely nice and has incredible facilities to shower in and whatnot. I got a lot of comments on my last post about having a quick workout, so I will have to post a few different workouts in upcoming blog entries. I also owe my mom a visit to our new gym so she can try the stair-stepper machine. In ANY case…last night I cooked us some delicious white chicken chili (served with avocado, sour cream, and pita chips!) and it was just the type of meal we needed to close down a week of hard physical work.
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
adapted from HowTo:Simplify
Ingredients for Chili:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used an oven-baked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save on time), shredded
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Extra Ingredients to Serve with Chili:
- 1 block of pepper jack cheese, freshly grated to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sour cream
- Pita chips (I use Waleed’s brand, so yummy!)
1. In a large pot, sauté the onions until they become translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Once the onions are done, add chicken, beans, corn, chilies (with juice from the can), cumin, and oregano to the large pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
3. Bring everything to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper (to taste), juice from one lime, and cilantro. Stir occasionally. Leave everything simmering on the stove until you’re ready to serve.
4. Serve with pepper jack, avocado, sour cream, and pita chips!